Overview & Newsletters
Alpha Academies Trust SMSC Mission Statement
At Alpha Academies Trust, we ensure that our students across the key stages are fully prepared for life both in and outside of school. We actively promote the development of students spiritually, morally, socially and culturally. This development allows them to make sense of their world, and our broad and balanced curriculum helps develop an informed and balanced view on world events, beliefs and values of others.
In lessons, students have opportunities to explore their values and the values of others. Curricula across our academies has, at its heart, fundamental British Values which promotes respect and tolerance of all faiths, respect of law and rules and the belief in liberty and freedom for all people. We actively promote Democracy and Citizenship through extra-curricular activities and individual academy value frameworks.
We promote SMSC in the following ways:
Spiritual development is the development of individual identity and the search for meaning and purpose in our existence. Students have the opportunity to experience awe and wonder. It leads towards the understanding of self and others. It is not linked solely to a particular faith and spiritual development and is therefore accessible to everyone. At AAT this may be done through:
· Exploring different beliefs & faiths.
· Studying the concept of identity in different subject areas.
· Allowing time for personal reflection.
We promote across the trust the development of personal moral codes and encourage students to follow this for their own conviction rather than because of sanctions and/or consequences. Alpha students work towards an understanding of what is right and wrong. From this basis students may develop the ability to make judgements and to become increasingly responsible for their own actions or and behavior. At AAT this may be done through:
· Asking and answering moral questions during form time activities.
· Studying texts and exploring moral dilemmas within.
· Using thought for the week (or similar) to explore big questions in a collaborative way.
This enables students to become active participants within their family, class, school, the local and wider community. Students at Alpha Academies Trust develop an understanding of the benefits of belonging to a group or to society and the responsibilities that this brings. At AAT this may be done through:
· Working together, both academically and socially.
· Raising awareness of social media and how to use it as a force for good.
· Developing our oracy skills through student led presentations and class discussions.
· Form group pledges and parent/teacher contracts
Alpha academies trust aims to develop a sense of personal identity whilst fostering a curiosity, awareness and understanding regarding different cultural traditions and beliefs. At AAT this may be done through:
· Use of photographs, artefacts and music from other cultures throughout the curriculum and extracurricular activities.
· Development of strong European/World links through MFL lessons/extra-curricular activities and wider curriculum opportunities.